The origin of the name. The palace owes its name to its T-shaped form ("tau" in Greek), a name that was first recorded in 1131.
The tradition of coronation. In commemoration of the baptism of Clovis by Saint Remi at Reims in around 496, it became a custom to crown the Kings of France here.
The architecture of the palace. The palace was already in existence during Antiquity. It was altered several times before being transformed into a classical palace between 1671 and 1710, under the direction of Jules Hardouin-Mansart, Louis XIV's leading architect, and Robert de Cotte, his pupil and main collaborator.
To ensure the safety of our visitors, the monument is strictly applying the security measures decided by the french authorities.
The monument is fully opened.